As most women progress in their pregnancy they begin to experience lower back pain, of which there are several causes:
• Added weight of pregnancy to weight bearing joints, such as ankles, low back and pelvis.
• The movement of the baby sometimes throws the pelvic girdle out of alignment.
• As the pregnancy progresses the baby will sometimes drop lower into the pelvic girdle throwing it out of alignment.
• Joints being out of alignment can put excessive pressure on the sciatic nerve.
• Added weight can cause muscle cramps, spasms, and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs.
When a pregnant woman comes in complaining of lower back pain the first thing that is done is to check her skeletal alignment with a process called Neurological Integration. This is a gentle process that is done with the woman standing up and using the brain, nervous system, and muscles to realign her structure. After she is put back into alignment then she lays down on a special pregnancy support system, which is designed to take all pressure off of the expanded stomach. This is followed by a relaxing massage designed to relieve stress, muscle pain, and release tension.